Sep 30, 2016

"I think what’s going on now just doesn’t give me room for humor," - Chimamanda speaks about police killings in America

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Nigerian award winner writer, spoke about racial issues in America and the continual reports of black people killed by police on Wednesday.

In her novel Americanah, her protagonist, Ifemelu, starts a blog about race in America from her perspective as a Nigerian immigrant.


The blog, called “Raceteenth or Various Observations About American Blacks (Those Formerly Known as Negroes) by a Non-­Black American," is funny as well as insightful.

"The blog in Americanah—I wanted it to be funny. I wanted to poke fun, because I think many of the ways race manifests itself in this country are actually quite funny so I hoped that people would laugh," Adichie said at the Washington Ideas Forum, an event produced by The Aspen Institute and The Atlantic.
Her interviewer, Mary Louise Kelly, a contributing editor at The Atlantic, asked what Ifemelu might say about racial issues in America today.
"I think what’s going on now just doesn’t give me room for humor," Adichie said. "I think that I’m so emotionally exhausted by the murders that I don’t think I could find any space to wrap humor around what’s been happening in the past one year, two years."
"It’s not just that you shoot a man who’s unarmed, it’s that you handcuff him when he’s clearly dying," she said. "There’s something about it that’s so unforgivably inhumane and to think that his race is part of the reason ... I really do think that one of the terrible things about racism in this country, is there’s a sense that blackness isn’t really seen as fully human in many quarters. I think that’s why these things happen. I think that’s why a man who is dying is handcuffed, that’s why a boy who is dead is left on the street for hours. It makes me wonder: What’s happened to that part of us that is good?"
An earlier part of Adichie and Kelly’s conversation focused on the power of storytelling to humanize, so Kelly asked, "Do you think you’ll be able to find a way to write about that?
"Many times I 've wanted to and I 've started," Adichie said. "But I almost always feel that language has failed me. So I don't know."

Source: The Atlantic

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    Giaonhan247 chuyên dịch vụ mua hàng mỹ từ dịch vụ order hàng mỹ hay nhận mua nước hoa pháp từ website nổi tiếng hàng đầu nước Mỹ mua hàng ebay ship về VN uy tín, giá rẻ.

    ReplyDelete